Crocodile Hunter Dead

Steve Irwin – RIP

I was saddened today to hear about the tragic and sudden death of conservationist and TV personality Steve Irwin.

As well as being a superb entertainer, more importantly Steve was an awarded documentary maker, a trailer blazer who raised global awareness for both the environment and for conservation.

He is survived by his wife Terri, his two children Bindi and Bob Jnr, his father Robert, his best mate Wes and a Zoological park that is second to none across the world. He will be missed.

For more on my thoughts of this check out http://philhobden.blogspot.com

Manta Rays steal bait. Basturds! Hey, Steve died doing what he loved. I'm sadden by the cutdown of his life at such a young age. I feel bad for his kids and wife the most. Outside of him dangling his baby over the crock, I have always admired him. No one is going to replace this guy on TV. I see alot of guys try, but he had the perfect look and charactater to do this and for it to be entertaining. There is one other guy I love to watch, his name is Jeff Corwin (sp). But he wont replace steve.

Steve died doing what he loved.

I'll be happy if people say that about me when I'm gone.

Don't want to start an argument -- just a discussion. The topic came up between the wife and I at supper -- did Steve die because he was too cocky? I remember seeing him on Larry King after the Baby Dangling incident. He said something to the effect that no animal will do anything he isn't prepared for. I always admired his daring and the fact that he was the best at what he did (teach and entertain), but in the end did he perish because he was so good at what he did that he thought himself invincible?

Poke

there is some truth to that. I agree, But, You can't be good at what you do if you're not cocky. It becomes a bit of a job hazard to have that attitude, but, Thats what made him good at what he did. You wouldnt get me near a crock because I'm not a cocky person unless I feel threatened. I dont initiate confrontations or such. Not saying he did, As a matter of fact, he was a conservationist. He loved his animals. But, not 3 weeks ago my wife and I, said something about him probably getting bit by a cobra and dying. I never thought of a stingray puncturing his heart though. That was just a freak accident.

I'll be happy if people say that about me when I'm gone.

Don't want to start an argument -- just a discussion. The topic came up between the wife and I at supper -- did Steve die because he was too cocky? I remember seeing him on Larry King after the Baby Dangling incident. He said something to the effect that no animal will do anything he isn't prepared for. I always admired his daring and the fact that he was the best at what he did (teach and entertain), but in the end did he perish because he was so good at what he did that he thought himself invincible?

Poke

I have followed Irwin for years and one thing i can say without a shadow of a doubt is that his on screen cockyness was backed up by a rational knowledge of the dangers of each and every animal and what they were capable of. He put his safty behind that of his entire crew and until this moment had never even been bitten/poisoned by a venamous snake, a fact he was rightly proud of.

And the same can be said for his crew.... no one has ever been hurt working for Irwin, a fact that not many directors can claim.

The baby thing was misjudged but, as he said, it's what his dad did to him when he was young and the only difference was it was never caught on camera, but being such a proud father he never would have done something that would have harmed or truly endangered his family.

Steve always new the danger of what he was doing, and often joked one day he would be killed on camera. But I honestly feel that he had some weird affinity with animals that not many other people do, can or will ever have.

Considering what he did and how often he did it, he has recieved very few injuries (and from my memory none serious) and that is because he knew the limits, which granted for him were further than any other person, and acted within them.

And at the end of the day it was a pure fluke what happened to him, to be one of only 3 people in Aus EVER killed by a stingray, a rare strike of chance.

I don't believe he thought he was invincible, I feel he just knew (like a stuntman does) what he was capable of and what the animals he worked with were capable of also.

He was dedicated to bringing the best TV and promoting the best conservation methods he could, no matter what, and in the end it was this dedication and desire to inform and educate that killed him, not his cocky attitude. And that is what we should remember him for.

On a side note any one out there wanting to make a donation should visit http://wildlifewarriors.org.au/, a charity set up by steve that buys forests and conservation areas to protect them. I'm sure any donation, no matter how small, will be appricated.

I'll miss him very much, my kids and I used to watch his show religiously. I feel very sad for his daughter...he was apparently filming something for her when this happened. Thanks for the memories Steve!

Knightly - according to stories he had finished filming on his project, ironicly title Ocean's Deadliest, and decided to do some filming for Bindi's new show. It was then he was killed.

As sad as it is at least he has a body of work that he will be remembered and loved for, and will be an icon that it will be very hard to forget. But like you I feel for Bindi and Bob Jnr, not to mention his wife Terri, life long best mate Wes and father Bob who only a few years ago buried his wife (steve's mum) as well.

The world has lost an amazingly talented documentry maker, a proud father and a bloody nice, genuine and honest bloke.

:-(

Yeah he was. Steve was shooting a series on dangerous creatures and was specifically looking for tiger sharks. Conditions being poor, he was stuck with the crew on the boat waiting.... being who he is was bored out of his brain and decided to get some footage for his daughters show.

Great Aussie icon... all around good guy. My sister was only there 4 weeks ago watching him laud over bindi in the live show (she lives about 15 minutes from Beerwah where Australia Zoo is). They drove out there along with almost everyone else last night and laid some flowers at the gate.

From the IMDB

He tells his camera crew to always be filming. If he needs help, he will ask for it. Even if he is eaten by a shark or croc, the main thing he wants is that it be filmed. If he died, he would be sad if no one got it on tape.

Back