Mini Camera Rigs - Question

Okay I want to camera up an actor for a car race so I can get the POV from him as we film it. The issue here is it's a banger race so any camera secured in the car runs the risk of getting destroyed. Any ideas on th best way around this?

Mount the camera inside a shock mount.. Maybe use a camera you don't necessarily mind if it gets destroyed. Or perhaps use something along the lines of a wireless security camera, so only the camera element would be in the car, not the record function or tape.

Thanks. Yeash i was thinking hooking up and old camera, it's just how to get it safe so it doesnt get too trashed and I (and the producer and the stunt driver for said sequance) doesnt get beheaded by a flying camera!

I was thinking that you could build a sort of shock mount rig, similar to the way a zeppelin works for the shotgun mic. Suspend the camera within a framework. I imagine you could build a cube out of a few pieces of wood, and then string some bungee cords through it to use for holding the camera in place.

Not only should such a design keep your camera safe, but it would probably help even out the bumps as well.

Clive's idea of a helmet cam is really good too!

clive said:
If you want the POV of the driver, why not use the kind of helmet mounted cameras they use for extreme sports

B&H

Mainly money and room. A head mounted unit wont fit into a car easily and wont give a great shot. Also I dont so muhc want the POV of the driver as shots of him in action which is hard to get!

Will... that may work. It's just supporting the frame to the car and uit being able to take some extreme abuse. Remember this is a live event not a staged event which means we have one shot and that it's very unpredicatble and could even me classed as dangerous so anything inside the car must be 100% safe and supported (otherwise it will be me getting hit over the head!.... the things we do to make a film!)

Last edited:
mr-modern-life said:
(otherwise it will be me getting hit over the head!.... the things we do to make a film!)
I've experienced that.. :)

I think your best course of action then is to use a small "bullet camera" that is either wirelessly transmitting to you in the pit, where you can record, or wired to a camcorder that is securly mounted somewhere else in the car.. not having to worry about the shot makes mounting the camcorder (which now would become just a record deck) much easier a task.. as for the bullet cam, it can be mounted just about anywhere, and you could even screw mount it if you had to.

There are a ton of these on ebay.

I you follow the B&H link in my last post you'll see that it goes to a $400 camera rig especially design for this kind of work, that records broadcast quality images.

It's exactly the same "bullet cam" rig that Will is talking about -- now bearing in mind that $400 won't even buy you a nasty second hand mini-dv camera to trash -- it's not an insane suggestion.

As I said before -- it's the rig used for exteme sports.

Here's that link again -- only this time I've tried to make it more visible

THIS IS THE DAMN CAMERA DESIGNED TO DO THAT JOB !!!

haha Clive, sometimes you slay me. :)

I wonder if such a unit couldn't be hired for the day, rather than having to buy it right out... either way, for $400 it's not a bad deal I'd say.

Back