Digital Screeners

Here is something I haven't seen posted: digital screeners.

As I continue to send out packages to distribution companies such as the DVD with a nicely designed cover, in a amray case, with a press kit, the costs continue to mount up. And now that I'm about to start sending out screeners to foreign companies the cost for shipping will go up even higher.

Has anyone ever tried a digital screener? By this I mean post their movie, press kit, and other material on a secure website that is password protected. Each company interested in viewing the screener would get a unique name and password.

Is this safe to do? I've found a way to "lock" the QT7 movie so it can't be saved.

Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited:
A lot of people I've dealt with just want a simple DVD, something they can drop in the player and press play.

Sending a QT file on a data DVD or CD opens up a world of problems:

• The file can wind up free on the internet.
  • Some people don't want to bother with the added 'effort' involved with playing data discs (Windows users).
I know of the 'lock' feature in QT7, but there's many ways around that. Anyone can look up the extraction APIs on apple.com. ;)

I'm not talking about sending a QT7 file on a data CD/DVD but host it online. As for security you are right... anyone can crack the security of preventing downloads but, then again, anyone can crack the DVD protection schemes and rip the film. It seems pretty much the same to me.

Yeah I would have to agree. Distributiors/sales agents are lazy and want the easiest option to do what they need to do. At the same time they get 100's of screeners a week and probably dont have time to download a film.

That said I never go OTT on the packaging because at the end of a day it's irrelevant to a company. No acquisions people will not look at a DVD that lands on their desk even if the presentaion isnn't studio quality because nobody wants to miss the next Clerks or the next Res Dogs.

Also chances are the more you send the less they will read.

I always sent a durn DVD with a simple label, a very basic B&W cover and a one sided A4 sales sheet. So no matter what condition it gets to them in the chances are it will still be watched.

mr-modern-life said:
I always sent a durn DVD with a simple label, a very basic B&W cover and a one sided A4 sales sheet. So no matter what condition it gets to them in the chances are it will still be watched.

Would you be willing to e-mail me your sales sheet? I'm curious to see how you design it, what information you include, etc.

On another thread we discussed the theft of movies like the ones we all make - no stars, nor big director, producer or production company. The desire of people to pirate that type of movie is extremely low.

I agree with Phil - distribution companies will design posters and covers so you don't need to do that. You can also save money by not including a press kit. If a distributor likes your movie and is interested in distribution, that's when they will ask if you have a press kit. I disagree that distributors are lazy - they are busy. It takes a lot of hours to view the hundreds of screeners they receive each week - I'm not sure sending them a URL and password is the most efficient way for the distributor to see your movie.

directorik said:
On another thread we discussed the theft of movies like the ones we all make - no stars, nor big director, producer or production company. The desire of people to pirate that type of movie is extremely low.

I remember that conversation. It may have even been in another thread I started a month or so ago. :)

The main reason I was thinking of preventing saving the movie to a computer and have a username/password was to show the distributor we were taking steps to prevent it from getting out in the event they were worried it might get bootlegged. That's the main reason.

If you're on a mac (I'm sure there's a way on the PC as well...and certainly *nix)...you can take a burned DVD and make a diskimage out of it...I believe you can then password protect the disk iteself...but it's not a pop it in the player kind of application so would be less than ideal for the folks that need to watch them.

What you refer to as a digital screener is called an EPK, Electronic Press Kit. It's very good to have one, but it usually does not include the film. It's for everything else... bio, reviews, publicity stills, contact info, etc.

If you care about your film, send a real screener. Not everyone is Internet savvy, and then you have to deal with download speeds, quality, etc.

I agree.

If you want your film noticed, then YOU need to do all the work to make your film as conveniently available as possible to the recipient.

If they have to expend any energy to view your movie, they won't bother. They probably have another 50 DVDs on their desk to go though already.

All work and no play gives your film a better chance to get seen.

So, going back to a previous recommendation, it's not necessary to send anything flashy. No need for a full DVD amray case with sleeve design or anything? No need for the press kit? Just a DVD in a jewel case is fine?

I would suggest the standard, full size Amrey case over a jewel case and a nice sleeve design doesn't hurt. As Robert mentioned, put yourself in the position of the distributor with 50 to 100 DVD to watch. A jewel case isn't standard and may be pushed aside or even damaged during shipping, and an entire press kit just gets in the way.

At this stage they aren't looking for cover art and press kits - they are looking for a movie they think they can sell. Keep it simple.

DVD in a jewel case, with a label on this disk, a simple inlay and a one or two sheet of A4 detailing the synopsis and background, any awards, reviews etc and contact details. As the onld saying goes Keep It Simple Stupid!

I wouldn't do a label, they can lift up and jam DVD players. Also, Amray is better than Jewel, if you want it to look professional. Just my opinion, it's what I did. Basically the same packaging that was done for DVD sales was used for festivals, but I had contact info printed on the DVD face instead of the artwork. Also, where the booklet ususally goes, I stuck a business card.

Yeah much better idea if you have the means to do it.

HINT : (and this seems obvious but a lot of people forget). Make sure your contact details and film name (and website if you have one) are everywhere. On the disk, on the inlay, on the press sheet etc. It's amazing how many people forget this and even more amazing how many screeners get cast aside due to accompanying info getting lost or confused

Back