Question about a short

Whatsup yall,
This summer, my production company is shooting a short film in which we would eventually like to develop into a feature length film. We want to do something along the line of Bottlerocket or Napoleon Dynamite, such as how the producers of those films created a short first and then received the funding they needed to create their features. What is the best way, once the film is done, to go about promoting it to try to get that funding? Should I enter it into film festivals ro should I try to contact a distributor directly? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Good question... but I would imagine that there are things you need to do once you're fortunate enough to be accepted into a good festival (not all provide the opps you might be hoping for, I think). So, any words of advice re: what to do with that long-term goal in mind, once you're at a festival?

Edit a really nice trailer, then send it out online...get word of mouth going on your film through the internet. Don't forget to include your website address or contact details at the end of the trailer, so that people know where to find you.

Trailers are the key (as well as a damn fine short film). This was very similar to how Res Dogs got made after Sundance... Tarantino shot scenes and used that to get levrage to get the film financed.

But more so get a good patron or star behind the project, some one with a named or commercial value. And if you can get them in the short (which if you haev a good enough idea or script isn't impossible) then you stand a much better chance.

Festivals are great because get an award and that will help, but be selective because you dont want too many people seing the short version of teh longer film because the studio mentality will be 'Didn't we see this?'

Good luck.

Back