Red

Yeah, I there was another post that mentioned it - looks very cool, but expensive. I read somewhere, a while ago, about a camera called 'Gemini' and that one sounded really awesome. But I can't find the article. If anyone's heard of that one, and knows where to find more info, pass that along, too.

I'm very excited about this camera. We've been drooling over it for a couple weeks now at Fulvew. May be out of the budget for purchase, but hopefully its somewhere rentable to take it for a test spin on a short film.

Me too. 2K is generally plenty of resolution. It will be great when 4K hits mainstream but it just isn't practical right now. 2K is plenty for me right now!

Have you guys read the cineform article about their codec being used in a 2K post workflow from 16mm footage? Apparently they got all the raw footage on 200GB firewire drive! That wouldn't matter much if the quality sucked but the quality of the codec is very, very, impressive!

Here's the article about it:

http://www.postmagazine.com/ME2/dir...91&tier=4&id=F7C2237D29644137BCDD7B012C937FE9

I bet you could get 4K on a desktop if cineform decided to up their codec support for the higher resolution!

I understand the comments about it being expensive. Your average joe can't just fork over $20K. But for what it does and what it is, it's DIRT CHEAP. The cameras in this space are largely meant to be rented, not bought. And the rental on a $20K camera is going to be VERY attractive compared to just about everything out there, from the Cinealta to the DVX. Wouldn't you pay $300/day over $150/day for the DVX to get uncompressed 1080p resolution on a 35mm-size chip?!!

Frankly, the specs are so fanastical that I must admit I remain skeptical and will until the day this thing hits the streets.

Beeblebrox said:
...I remain skeptical and will until the day this thing hits the streets.

It's being made by Jim Jannard, who is the owner of Oakley (sunglass folks). He's got his own optics plant and a proven track record. Plus he outfits the military with eyewear. He is a videography/photo hobbyist and is rich and disappointed with the camera offerings out there so far. That kind of personality and access to resources only leads to a finished product. I wait eagerly.

Agreed Knightly. This project won't fail. It CAN'T fail. There are a lot of very professional people on board this project who have put their names on the line here. If for any reason other than to maintain the professional integrity of the companies many employees this project will have to produce something.

Jim has the money, experience, people, and time. Worst that will happen is a price change before final launch.

I just watched a video on this on YouTube. WOW! Okay so yes it may seem costly but for what it does and what it is. Hell yeah!

Whether it will meet these standards and specs on release is another matter...

Back