Question about websites and work samples....

There is so much going on on this site, I really need to get back here and look around but I actually have been alittle busy.

My website might just be done in a few days!!!:D It is, for the most part, just what I wanted. But I do have some questions....

I would like to put some work samples on my site:
I am not really sure what 'streaming video' is, can someone clue me in?

I have been told that maybe I should 'embed' my video, I know as much about this as I do streaming video....:D

How do I go about putting either of these on my site? Is there one you would suggest that I use over another?

I would like for people not to be able to take the video off of the site, what should I do?

I would also like to put these work samples on my myspace profile, does anyone have a process that actually does work to get your video onto myspace? My last attempt crashed my computer...

I know this is alot of stuff, but HELP SOMEBODY! :lol:

As always, thanks in advance....

-- spinner :cool:

Are you rendering in QuickTime? If not, what video format are you using?

(adding more...)

Here is a decent set of instructions for embedding a QuickTime video / video player into your webpage:

http://www.sonoma.edu/it/websupport/faq/qtcode.html

If you need to use Windows Media Player instead, you can find the instructions for that as well with a quick Google search. Just search for "How to embed windows media player in web page"

As for preventing people from copying the movie off of your site...I don't think you will have much luck with that. If you embed the video into your page, you might stop a small percentage of people from getting it. But anyone with just a little computer savvy can get it if they want it. After all, the entire movie gets transferred from the web server to the viewer's computer to be viewed. So by default, if anyone watches your movie online -- you have already transferred a copy of it to their machine.

I do a fair amount of web design projects, so if you have any other questions--feel free to PM me.

I don't know much about myspace. Bophe has a page there, but Charles maintains it -- not me. I know others have successfully uploaded videos there -- Johnny Wu, Gorman Bechard... Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

Last edited:
I would actually suggest that you DO use quicktime.

you could upload your video file to your server. Then ensure your link either opens to a new blank page, or you tell them they could "right click" and download it.

With quicktime it can start playing before it's completed with the download.

Will Vincent recently posted our 48 hour film project on myspace, so he's done this recently. I think uploading it there automagically converts it to an embeded flash movie that you can slap the url around that it gives you.

John@Bophe said:
Are you rendering in QuickTime? If not, what video format are you using?

(adding more...)

Here is a decent set of instructions for embedding a QuickTime video / video player into your webpage:

http://www.sonoma.edu/it/websupport/faq/qtcode.html

If you need to use Windows Media Player instead, you can find the instructions for that as well with a quick Google search. Just search for "How to embed windows media player in web page"

As for preventing people from copying the movie off of your site...I don't think you will have much luck with that. If you embed the video into your page, you might stop a small percentage of people from getting it. But anyone with just a little computer savvy can get it if they want it. After all, the entire movie gets transferred from the web server to the viewer's computer to be viewed. So by default, if anyone watches your movie online -- you have already transferred a copy of it to their machine.

I do a fair amount of web design projects, so if you have any other questions--feel free to PM me.

I don't know much about myspace. Bophe has a page there, but Charles maintains it -- not me. I know others have successfully uploaded videos there -- Johnny Wu, Gorman Bechard... Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

Thanks! The video format is Mini DV and I have one of the samples in FCP. The other is on DVD which is a whole new problem. The one on DVD is on IndieTalk in the screenings

I wasn't really sure if I would be able to prevent people from downloading the work samples, but I did want to see if it could be done. Thank you for the link. I was planning to use Quicktime, but I may use Windows Media Player if I can get them both to work.

CootDog;

I am correct in thinking that the server is the same as the host? (I am bad at the terminology, but I am getting better :rolleyes: ) I will be in touch with you possibly by the end of the week for HOS.

knightly;

I was looking for that after I got the bulletin, I'll be going there asap.

spinner said:
CootDog;

I am correct in thinking that the server is the same as the host? (I am bad at the terminology, but I am getting better :rolleyes: )

In order for anything to be online, it has to be on a webserver. The webserver could be in your closet or it could be with a company. It's basically a computer running webserver software like Apache, for example, and hooked up to the internet.

I know one guy that hosts his family's website on a PC under his bed. He has cable internet and it's mainly used for family photos and guestbook.

Then there companies who have a lot of servers with a big pipe into the internet backbone who host many websites on their webservers.

"webserver software like Apache"
If you want to run a web server, the most common webserver application is Apache, which it normally run on a Linux platform. So you install Linux on the server, then install Apache. Which is like you do on your PC.. You install windows the Adobe Premier.

MSN... 'hmmm is that your Internet Service Provider (ISP), the program you use to chat , or your web host provider?
I don't know what you mean by "I have MSN".

CootDog said:
"webserver software like Apache"
If you want to run a web server, the most common webserver application is Apache, which it normally run on a Linux platform. So you install Linux on the server, then install Apache. Which is like you do on your PC.. You install windows the Adobe Premier.

MSN... 'hmmm is that your Internet Service Provider (ISP), the program you use to chat , or your web host provider?
I don't know what you mean by "I have MSN".

...okay, so I need more terminology lessons :D

Okay, I do not have a server. MSN is my ISP.
So since I do not have a server for my work samples, do I have to get something like YouTube to put my shorts on or can I just upload it to HOS??

YouTube is a website which hosts videos. You don't actually "get" YouTube, you upload your videos to their server.

If you get a hosting account at HOS or where ever, you could upload your video files there. Then you'd have to create a webpage, which would have a link to your video file. Then when the person clicks the link it plays the file.

CootDog said:
YouTube is a website which hosts videos. You don't actually "get" YouTube, you upload your videos to their server.

If you get a hosting account at HOS or where ever, you could upload your video files there. Then you'd have to create a webpage, which would have a link to your video file. Then when the person clicks the link it plays the file.

...that's what I needed to know. Thanks, Coot. I still have alot to learn....

You can find a shared hosting plan for about 8 bucks a month that should work for you, look for plans that include a website builder, since you are a newbie. This way, you can choose from templates and edit them online, etc. You'll need an ftp client to upload video to your site. It's simple enough. Upload, and create a link to the file on your page, and when clicked, it will open the default media player, and they can download by right clicking. That should get you going.

I use freeware Filezilla as my FTP (File Transfer Protocol) app for the PC.

However, there are hosts where you can use their online file manager instead of an FTP program. You could upload using the file manager into the folder you need.

For speed and ease of use I'm using YouTube to stream/display my vids. You get a nice link and dont have to worry about making it look nice in your website.

It also converts different formats and makes them user freidnly for most people. A good tool...

Back